Learning has been identified as the key form of leverage in developing contexts and service learning is one of the options chosen to promote community engagement, responsibility and awareness. We believe that the best way to learn is to serve and that whoever wants to achieve something incredible must be prepared to be a servant to all.
“Service learning is defined as “course-based, credit-bearing educational experience in which students participate in an organized service activity that meets identified community needs and reflect on the service activity in such a way as to gain further understanding of the course content, a broader appreciation of the discipline, and an enhanced sense of civic responsibility”
Bringle, Phillips and Hudson
Craig Rowe the CEO of CDR Equipping has been involved in Service Learning in South Africa, Australia and the USA for the last 15 years.
- Developed programmes, taught and researched service learning in 4 higher education institutions
- Been an external reviewer for Oxford University Press for the first South African textbook on Service Learning
- Served as an executive board member on the South African Higher Education Community Engagement Forum
- Served as a member of the South African Department of Social Development’s Community Development Professionalization Steering Team
CDR Equipping can provide service learning training programmes for:
- Primary through to high-schools
- Further Education and Training Colleges
- Corporate Training Centers
- Ministry Training Centers and Churches
“Engagement between communities and higher education institutions creates an extended platform which fosters deep connection, collaboration, continuous communication for knowledge sharing. The key to the success of these partnerships lies in the commitment of all partners to implement the golden rule of love and doing to others what you would have them do to you. The holistic transformation of all partners can follow and systematically change society towards a common good”